- ¾ cup whole urad dal, 140 grams
- ¼ cup rajma, 40 grams
- 3 cups water for pressure cooking, 750 ml
- 1 medium onion or 50 grams onion or ½ cup finely chopped onions
- 1 or 2 green chilies, chopped
- 2 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 large tomatoes
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 2 – 3 cloves
- 2 – 3 green cardamoms
- 1 black cardamom
- 1 small to medium tej patta
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- ¼ to ⅓ cup low fat cream, 25% to 30% fat
- ½ tbsp low fat cream for garnish
- 3 tbsp butter, salted or unsalted
- 2 spoon of crushed coriander leaver
- Soak the whole black urad and rajma overnight in minimum 4 cups of water and cover the bowl
- Next morning, drain the water and add 2-3 cups of wtaer to pressure cooker and cook for 18 to 20 whistles on a high flame, till both the urad dal and rajma have softened thoroughly. Incase you feel dal is still not cooked, then add about ½ cup water again and pressure cook for 4 to 5 whistles more.
- Peel and chop the onion, ginger and garlic finely. Also chop the tomatoes.
- Heat oil and add butter in a thick-bottomed pan. Add tej patta, cumin seeds and when it crackles add chopped onions and fry till golden brown.
- Add chopped ginger, green chillies, ginger garlic paste and chopped tomatoes. Sauté till tomatoes are well mashed and butter starts coming to the corners, leavingthe masala.
- Now you can add dray masalas to it like- add ½ tsp red chili powder, 1/4 tsp haldi, ½ tsp garam masala ( you can also add any other additional masala’s as per your taste ti make it more spicy)
- Add boiled dal and rajma to this. Try and mash a little, the dals with the back of the ladle and continue stirring.
- Add fresh cream and garam masala powder let it simmer for another five minutes. Finish off with a couple of pinch of Kasoori methi powdered.
You can also serve it hot with Naan or Parantha!!