Marwari fasting menus contain no onion garlic and no cereal. All food is phalahari and cooked with sendha namak (rock salt).
- Tomatoes – 8 medium
- Desi ghee – 2 tbsp
- Cumin seed – ½ tsp
- Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Sugar – 5 tsp
- Sendha namak (rock salt) to taste
- Wash and cut tomatoes into wedges.
- Wash and slit green chillies.
- Heat ghee to a smoking point and add cumin seeds.
- Cumin seeds when added to hot oil turn to a dark color immediately; this releases its flavour instantly.
- Add all the spices, tomatoes, salt and sugar.
- Stir nicely and cook for 3 to 4 minutes on high flame until the tomatoes are slightly tender.
- Do not overcook as the curry may turn into a sauce.
- Garnish with green chillies